Everybody needs to write at some point, and it can be challenging, especially when it comes to editing. Poor grammar is unacceptable for writers aspiring to gain their readers’ trust or students aiming for the highest grade. Grammar checkers help make writing easier by pointing out grammatical errors, making editing a breeze.
Once you finish writing and editing, it is also important to ensure that whatever you publish is original. This is where plagiarism checkers come into play. Plagiarism occurs when writers copy another writer’s work and publish it as their own. It is a serious offense and will make you lose the trust of your readers.
Plagiarism, whether done intentionally or unintentionally, leaves a negative impression of the writer, and it takes a lot of effort to win back the trust of your readers. To avoid falling into this kind of dilemma, always scan your document for plagiarism before publishing. Alternatively, seek professional services like writepaper.com for unique content.
There are dozens of plagiarism checkers online, and finding one that suits you should be easy. However, you must understand the features of a reliable plagiarism checker before choosing one. To ensure your work receives a credible plagiarism report, here is what to look for in a plagiarism checker.
- Accuracy – Most plagiarism checkers tend to identify the same problem areas. However, unreliable plagiarism checkers will not notice all the plagiarized sections and may mark your work 100% original. The good thing is that you can copy-paste your work into various plagiarism checkers and pick the one with the highest accuracy.
- Fast results – Sometimes, you may need to submit your work urgently, and it helps to pick a checker with fast loading speeds and quick results.
- Sharing report feature – Some clients will ask for a plagiarism report for written work. Using a plagiarism checker that allows you to share the information across various platforms is important.
- Simplicity – Writing is hard enough, and you do not want to complicate it further by choosing a complicated tool. Finding a simple plagiarism checker saves time and simplifies your work.
Top 3 Plagiarism Checkers
Plagiarism checkers are a must-have tool for writers worth their salt, and here are a few of the most reliable ones.
This tool has a free and paid version known as premium. Copyscape premium is a highly ranked plagiarism checker among many writers. You can copy-paste your article into the provided text box and wait for an originality report. Also, Copyscape integrates seamlessly with WordPress and offers clear guidelines on dealing with plagiarism.
Turnitin is popular with academic institutions, especially with teachers and professors. It is an effective tool for discouraging plagiarism by students. Plagiarized sections are highlighted, and a similarity score is generated. Instructors can also view all sources and references used by the student in their assignments and thus evaluate their research skills.
Unicheck is a useful tool for students, instructors, and other writers as well, including bloggers. It provides links to the original content so that the user can access it easily. Since it is based in the cloud, there is no need to download it. For this app to identify citations, they need to appear in the correct format.
There is a wide selection of grammar checkers online, and picking one can overwhelm you. However, here are a few features to consider when selecting a reliable grammar checker.
- Identifying typing errors – You need a grammar checker that can point out typing errors on the spot and suggest the correct word. Also, it is best if a grammar checker you pick distinguishes between American and British English. This feature will come in handy when you correspond with overseas partners.
- Highlighting clichés – Cliches are overused words and phrases that every writer should try to avoid. A reliable grammar checker should point out such words accurately and suggest alternatives.
- Spotting punctuation errors – Your grammar checker should identify punctuation errors easily. Such errors include missing full stops, colons, semi-colons, commas, hyphens, apostrophes, question marks, etc.
- Pointing out the passive voice – Using the passive voice too many times will water down your work. Find a grammar checker that can accurately identify the passive voice so that you can change it. Very good grammar checkers even offer to paraphrase such sentences for you.
Top 3 Grammar Checkers
Here are the top grammar checkers used by writers and students:
Many writers use the Hemingway App to polish their work and identify common errors. While this app doesn’t highlight typing or punctuation errors, it does help you significantly improve your writing. It highlights too long or complex sentences, identifies passive voice, adverbs, and weakening phrases, which make writing dull, and offers helpful suggestions. The app also calculates the readability score of your text. The app is completely free, although if you would like the desktop version, it will cost you $20.
Like Copyscape, Grammarly has a free and premium version. The free version only highlights the errors, but the premium version offers writing suggestions based on correctness, clarity, engagement, and delivery. You can also set the goals like the formality or tone of your writing. Furthermore, with Grammarly, you have the option of choosing the type of English. The app goes beyond British and American English and also offers you Canadian and Australian English. Editing with Grammarly is extremely easy. Just like the Hemingway App, it calculates the readability score of your text. Other useful features include plugins for Word and Chrome. Additionally, a plagiarism checker is also included in this grammar checker.
WhiteSmoke is a premium grammar checker that is compatible with the web, mobile phones, and PC. Unlike other grammar checkers, WhiteSmoke incorporates written material and support videos for writers looking to improve their grammar. Apart from checking for grammatical mistakes, this app also checks for plagiarized content.
Grammar and plagiarism checkers have revolutionized writing in many ways. Thanks to these tools, almost everyone can become an excellent writer. While they cannot replace human beings, they are worth trying out. Their impressive features will help you have fun writing and increase your motivation.